Do you experience any small, painful ulcers on the inside of your mouth, tongue, lips, or throat? Then you may be suffering from cancker sores. The condition is very common, and it affects about 20% of the general population to some degree.
Unlike cold sores, canker sores don’t occur on the surface of your lips and they aren’t contagious.
The cause of this condition is multifactorial, some may include:
- injury to the mouth
- acidic or spicy foods
- vitamin deficiencies
- Autoimmune disorders.
Some people may experience the following related canker sores symptoms and signs:
- Bleeding Gums
- Lump Or Mass On Gums
- Painful Gums
- Avoid foods that seem to irritate your mouth or which you’re sensitive or allergic to.
- To help prevent nutritional deficiencies, eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grain.
- Brush regularly after meals and floss once a day to keep your mouth clean and free of foods that might trigger a sore. Also, use a soft brush to help prevent irritation to delicate mouth tissues, and avoid toothpastes and mouth rinses that contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
- If you have braces or other dental appliances, ask your dentist about orthodontic waxes to cover sharp edges.
Diagnosis is mostly based on the clinical appearance and the medical history.
Simple cases of occasional canker sores are self-limiting; they will heal over and disappear without intervention. Treatments by readily available prescription and non-prescription mostly just reduce pain, discomfort, and complication.
No remedies are proven to change the course of canker sores themselves or stop them returning. However, the home remedies listed below can help you relieve the pain and discomfort.
- Rinse with mild, over-the-counter mouthwash or salt water (do not swallow)
- Make a mixture that is half hydrogen peroxide and half water
- Use a cotton swab to apply some of the mixture directly to the sore
- Dab a small amount of milk of magnesia on the sore
Compiled by: eDokita Team.
- Mayo Clinic. Cancker Sores: Prevention. 2017
- Markus MacGill. Home Remedies for Cancker Sores. Medical News Today. 2016
- John P. Cunha and Jerry R. Balentine. Canker sore definition and facts