Consumption of foods that can help you sleep better is a much better option than using sleeping pills or drugs.Foods high in magnesium and vitamin B6 can help do this.Some people have difficulty in sleeping well at night. This meals can help boost and increase the number of hours you sleep at night.
Examples of such foods that can help you sleep better includes;
- High fibre meals such as beans, oat, cereal; they help you sleep better and prevent blood sugar surges at night. The more you eat, the better you sleep. Cereals increase the level of calcium and carbohydrates.
- Fish; this is rich in vitamin B6 which is needed to make melatonin (a hormone made by the pineal gland in the brain) which induces sleep.
- Yoghurt and milk; they are a good source of calcium and research has found that calcium deficient people find it difficult to sleep.
- Banana; this is rich in potassium and vitamin B6 which is a good source of melatonin. It is also rich in magnesium which also helps you to fall asleep easily.
- Kiwi; This green fruit may be the ultimate pre-bed snack. When volunteers involved in a research from Taipei Medical University in Taiwan ate two kiwis an hour before sleep, they slept almost a full extra hour. Kiwis are full of vitamins C and E, serotonin and folate—all of which may help you snooze.
- Rice; it has a high glycemic index which makes you shut your eyes faster and readily fall asleep.
- Cheese and cracker; are a rich source of calcium which is needed to sleep easily. Calcium helps the brain to absorb tryptophan which is important in sleep cycle.
- Almond; this is a rich source of magnesium which aids sound sleep.
- Honey; The natural sugar found in honey slightly raises insulin and allows tryptophan, which is needed in serotonin production, to enter the brain more easily. Serotonin promotes the feeling of calmness which can help promote sleep.
- Green leafy Vegetables; A salad with dinner could speed up your bedtime since lettuce contains lactucarium, which has sedative properties.
- Potato; is rich in potassium and magnesium which helps to promote sleep.