Swimming is a great aerobic activity that improves health and controls weight. It also improves the cardiovascular function by promoting blood circulation. In cases of obesity and heart disease, it allows the organs in the body to work vigorously without placing stress on your bones and joints. For good and effective swimming workout, there are great tips for good swimming workouts you should know:
- Before you get into the pool, it is important to check with the lifeguard on duty. He/she will orientate you on your swimming environment like the deep and shallow portions of the pool. You might be asked to put in some information or to wear an identification tag.
- Beginners or learners should not swim. If they must, they should do so with a lifejacket on, a lifeguard around or avoid swimming to the deep portions of the pool.
- Go with a waterproofed sunscreen whether the sun is shining or not. This will protect your skin from ultraviolet rays from direct sunlight. You should have your swimming accessories packed with waterproofed shoes, goggles, swimsuit and a bath towel which are clothes of choice needed to lessen the risk of contracting skin infections are clothes of choice. Take extra clothes with you in case your clothes get wet.
- You must take a shower in the pool shower room before checking into the water. You should remove necklaces, chains and bands and put them in a waterproofed bag before using the pool or beach.
- Water is an essential need when swimming. It is a good idea to have water in hand before swimming or have a drink an hour before swimming as this helps to prevent dehydration and grumpiness while in the water. Also, empty your bowel and bladder before swimming.
- Swimming is fun sometimes and so you might want to taste the water in the pool or drink some if it when you’re thirsty. This is an unhygienic thing to do as the water not only contains chlorine used to preserve it but body fluids, faecal matter and urine of people who might have used the pool before you.
- Do not go swimming with electronic devices, gadgets and accessories as they can get into the water. It is advisable to keep them in a safe in your hotel room or if addicted, wrap them in a water-proofed bag and keeps your eyes on them.
- Keep your hair from harmful chemicals (salt and chlorine) that can damage them. Use a thick waterproofed cap to cover your hair before you go into the water.
- Eat simple and complete meals 2-3 hours before any swimming workouts. This is to prevent you from struggling due to digestive processes once you get in the water. Avoid greasy, fatty, or overly salty/sweet foods and stick to simple natural ingredients instead. If you’re looking for new meal options, you can aim to eat well but not completely fill up with:
- Lean Proteins: Tuna, hard-boiled eggs, grilled chicken, peanut butter, and turkey slices
- Simple Carbohydrates: Bread, pasta, pretzels, oatmeal, rice, quinoa
- Avoid high-fibre carbohydrates they take a long time to digest.
- Fruits/Vegetables: Bananas, avocados, tomatoes, apples, oranges, berries, greens
- Ensure you check out with the lifeguard or person-in-charge of pool or beach. Make sure all your belongings are complete before you leave the pool or beach
Now you have these great tips for good swimming workouts to help you enjoy swimming. Go have fun!