Getting too worked up can have a negative impact on your emotional and mental health. That is why we recommend that every workaholic should find ways to relax often. This will help them stay fresh and live longer. You might be at risk of physical or emotional breakdown if you notice this signs. These include:
- Thinking of work or businesses non-stop to the point of leaving you depressed, unhappy and unfulfilled.
- Experiencing constant headaches, neck pains and back pains
- Often irritable, short-tempered and turn off easily from tasks.
- Finding sleep difficult and when you do, you wake up feeling less rested and refreshed.
- Eating too much or little.
- Taking little or no water.
- Looking gloomy and tired
These signs, which are common among workmen and women show that your body needs to get relaxed. Here are good tips put together to help you relax.
1. Create time to relax
It is important to intentionally create time amidst all your busy schedules for adequate rest and sleep. Its effect cannot be overemphasized. After a hard day’s work, the body deserves enough rest to keep meeting each day’s demands. We know the value of hard work but it is important that we handle every task at the time they deserve without letting them bleed onto other hours of the day. Block out times in the day to relax by marking it on your calendar or setting a reminder. You can also make a list of your everyday activities, prioritize them by importance and be proactive in attending to them before they become a big problem. Also, watch out for procrastination.
2. Relax your Body
Good rest and sleep is a natural part of life. Sleep helps to refresh our body and prepares the body for optimal functioning. It boosts mental processes and restores the body. An adult should have an average of 6-8 hours of sleep every day for full restoration. You can get your body relaxed by:
- Trying a body massage with good essential oils will relieve the tension you feel and enhance your sleep.
- A good cold or warm bath with light scented candles, bubbles or lavender if is desired
- Wear clean warm and light clothes
- Put aside every distraction like an alarm or digital clocks and other electronic gadgets.
- Fill the room with good scents of lavender or rose to help body relax
- Lie on the bed or sofa or beach mat while listening to soft music or the ocean breeze
- Read a good book while you curl in your blanket with a cup of tea
- You can also watch good movies in bed.
- Close your eyes and imagine something beautiful like a personal experience, the chirp of birds or sound of water.
3. Relax your mind
To achieve good rest and sleep, it is important to a have your mind at rest, free of every worry, anxiety or guilty feelings. You can relax your mind by:
- Practicing breathing exercises by breathing in through your nose and breathing out through your mouth
- Practice belly breathing by putting your hand on your stomach when you breathe in, you try to push away our hands and when you breathe out, your hands go towards you.
- Inhale deeply then you count 1-5 then you exhale slowly. Do these ten times to relax your muscles and nerves. As you breathe out you can virtualize the stress leaving your body.
- Practice meditation by sitting for a minimum of 15minutes to removing all thoughts and emotions from your mind and concentrating on your breathing
- Practice positive thinking by changing your outlook on life and adopting positive rather than negative conclusions
- Use short positive statement to boost your confidence and increase your self-esteem.
- Use positive, caring and believing words about yourself always.
- Locate stressors that affect you either at work or at home and look for ways to act or react to them.
- Guilt is a potent source of stress, get rid of any behaviour or act that makes you feel guilty.
- Recognize that problems are temporary and are just minor setbacks on the part to achieving your goal.
4. Regular exercise
This has been scientifically proven to reduce stress. Aim for thirty minutes daily to achieve the desired result. You can try the following ideas:
- Take a brisk walk down your street, park or a treadmill
- Park a little further from the entrance to your store or market
- Go swimming
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Cycling is good
- Stretch your shoulders, arms, and legs
- Visit a local spa for a good massage.
- Enroll at a gym facility.
5. Have a healthy dietary plan
Eating well-balanced meal promotes your health and provides adequate rest and sleep that your body needs. You can use the following tips:
- Cut down on too much carbohydrate foods such as pasta. This can cause sugar spikes and lead to agitation and irritability.
- Avoid sweeteners or excessive refined sugar like candy, cake and chocolates.
- Regular hydration with water rather than soft drinks refreshes and stabilizes the body.
- Avoid excessive caffeine. Too much caffeine can make you jumpy and irritable. Try not to drink caffeine after 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and keep your morning intake moderate and steady across every day. If you must have more coffee than you should, switch to decaf or a herbal tea with little or no caffeine
- Eat fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains that are free of refined sugar, such as apples, grapes, carrots, broccoli, brown rice or whole grain bread.
- Eat plenty of low-calorie protein, such as chicken, fish, whole grains, legumes, dark leafy vegetables or low-fat dairy. These proteins are a better source of energy.
- Take some vitamins to relieve stress. Vitamin B and Vitamin D are especially good for relaxation.
6. Do hobbies that relax you
To get the relaxation you need you might need to perform those activities you love doing which you haven’t done in a while like: skipping, sewing, fishing, painting, taking photographs, running, singing, dancing, listening to music, playing with pets and visiting friends.
7. Plan a good vacation
Sometimes all we need to relax is just to get out of the past or the present and delve ourselves into the potential of the future. Picture the locale in your mind. What do you want to do? Where do you want to go?
This is a sort of practical visualization. You’re not only thinking of how wonderful your destination is, but also how happy you’ll be. It may also serve as motivation to save up money, get in shape, and feel good about where your life is going.
These entire tips if put to use is capable of getting your body relaxed and prepared for optimal functioning.