Ginger is one of the most commonly used and healthiest spices in the world. This is because of the numerous benefit it offers when used. Ginger exists in different forms, it can be used fresh, in powdered form for cooking, as teas or essential oils in medicine to treat health conditions. It is made of nutrients and anti-oxidants. Of the 115 different component found in ginger root, the therapeutic benefits of ginger come from gingerols which is an oily resin known for its anti -oxidising and anti -inflammatory effect. Ginger comes from rhizomes and underground stem that forms its root downwards, while the stem and the leaves sprouts from the top. Here are unknown health benefits of ginger you must know:
- Ginger relieves Nausea: Studies suggests that ginger is effective in relieving nausea associated with pregnancy or chemotherapy treatment. The active compound and anti -oxidant in ginger depresses the vomiting centre of the brain and reduces the irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. Eating whole ginger, drinking fresh ginger juice and inhaling diffused ginger essential oil are all highly effective ways to relieve nausea and vomiting.
- Ginger heals cancer: This life-threatening condition has led to the loss of lives. It is accompanied by uncontrolled cell growth. It has shown that making ginger a part of a diet aids in treating lung, prostate, ovarian, colon, breast, skin, and pancreatic cancers. The compound 6-gingerol, found in large amounts in raw ginger has anti-tumour qualities. Furthermore, ginger can help prevent new cancer cells from forming in addition to destroying active cancer cells.
- Ginger prevents infections: Bacteria and fungi infections are a threat to our health and well-being. If not treated can alter various body functions. Ginger has been proven to have strong antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which build the body defence system and fight infections. This is effective for hospitalised patients, elderly or infants with compromised or weak immunity. Ginger boosts the body immunity by breaking down accumulated toxins in the body and clearing the lymphatic system.
- Ginger reduces pain: Ginger is known for its analgesic and anti -inflammatory effect on the body. It can be taken internally in form of teas to calm the nerves or as essential oils which are applied locally to the site of injury or inflamed area.It promotes blood circulation and reduces swelling caused by inflammation. It is valuable in managing arthritis and menstrual pains.
- Ginger helps to lose weight: If you need to lose some weight or cut down on some calorie you have taken, ginger is the sure bet you need. Ginger has fat burning supplements that speed up body metabolism and aids calorie burning. This can be taken in form of ginger teas in the morning after every exercise.
- Ginger relieves a headache: A headache is a sign that a limit has been as been exceeded in the body. It is a common complaint amongst people. Ginger is a natural blood thinner which thins the blood and improves circulation that relieves a headache. This circulation creates a warm feeling in the body especially on cold days. It is useful for hypertensive patients.
- Ginger cures insomnia: Ginger has got powerful compounds and anti-oxidants which relax the muscles and stimulate the sleep wake centre for a good sleep. Insomnia can be caused by emotional or psychological factors which alter sleeping patterns. Most people have resulted to the use of chemical agents like drugs to induce sleep, this could have adverse effects on the body. Ginger offers relaxation of tensed muscles and removes all the toxins causing sleeplessness to enhance your sleep.
- Ginger heals ulcer: Ginger inhibits H. pylori. H. pylori is a type of bacteria that has been proven to cause ulcers in many people including children. With ginger inhibiting the growth of these bacteria it helps protect the gastric mucosa within the digestive system.Ginger can also reduce the stomach PH caused by stress, this prevents the erosion of the stomach wall.
To enjoy your ginger, you can maintain its freshness by keeping it in the refrigerator or freezer for 2-3 months. If it is in a powdered form you can store in airtight containers and keep in a cool dry place.