Individual’s sex life is an important part of an individual that makes an individual whole. Sex is a physiological need that is as important as food but cannot be compared to food anyway. Therefore, any problem affecting sex life takes a very big toll on the individual’s well being. One of the common sexual dysfunction that affects men is Erectile dysfunction. People seldom talk about it but it is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Erection is the physiological process by which a penis becomes erect by being engorged with blood. Blood flow to penis is usually stimulated by sexual thoughts or direct contact with the penis.
Erectile dysfunction can occur at any stage of the erection process. Thus Erectile dysfunction is the inability to get or keep an erection firm enough to have sexual intercourse. It can be caused by health problems and emotional issues.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION?
It can be listed under three factors. They are: Physical factors, mental factors, Medications.
- Heart disease
- Damage from cancer or surgery
- Low testosterone level
- High cholesterol
- Enlarged prostate.
- Sleeping disorders
- Emotional disturbance.
- Hormone therapy.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I HAVE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION?
- Trouble getting an erection
- Difficulty maintaining an erection during sexual activities
- Reduced interest in sex
Other disorders related to erectile dysfunction include:
- Delayed ejaculation
- Premature ejaculation
- Inability to achieve orgasm after ample stimulation.
The treatment is usually based on underlying causes. The various ways to treat Erectile dysfunction are:
- Medication: Your doctor will prescribe medications that are most suitable for you, these medications stimulate blood flow to the penis.
- Talk therapy: If erectile dysfunction is caused by mental factor, seeing a therapist to talk about feelings around sex or thoughts that could be affecting sexual well being.
You can also try to improve your relationship or communicate better with your sexual partner
- Alternative treatment;
- Prostatic massage: Massage the tissues in and around your groin to promote blood flow to your penis.
- Pelvic floor muscle exercise: it improves penile function after regular practice: To identify your pelvic floor muscles, stop peeing midstream, the muscles you use to do this are your pelvic floor muscles. Your testicles will also rise when you contract these muscles. Contract them from 5 to 20 seconds, then release them. Repeat this exercise 10 to 20 times in a row of three to four times a day.
- Lifestyle changes and diet: This can help prevent and reverse erectile dysfunction;
- Regular exercise
- Maintain an adequate, nutritious diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Maintain low blood pressure
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes
- Reduce your stress
- Change Medications: if erectile dysfunction is caused by medications, talk to your doctor so as to change your medication.