In my previous article, I talked about what sugar is, the recommended dose of daily sugar intake and how sugar affects the quality of your diet.
In this article, I will be showing you what excess sugar in the body can cause, so after reading, you can decide to drastically reduce your sugar intake in other to prevent certain diseases.
Consuming excess sugar can be detrimental to your health because sugar doesn’t contain nutrients aside from empty calories. They offer no health benefit to your body and when the body gets to store a lot of it, they get to interact with other factors such as hereditary, physical activity, and immunity, influencing the risk of developing various illnesses or diseases. Here are 5 reasons why sugar is unhealthy for your body.
5 Reasons Why You Should Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Increase in Body Weight: When blood sugar is high it signals the body to produce more of the hormone insulin and insulin stores unused sugars as fat. If your diet is constantly high in sugar, it will over time lead to an increase in body weight.
- Fatigue: Sugars are an instant source of energy yet the energy provided is not sustainable. The energy is drained quickly because they are short-chain carbohydrates that are easily absorbed and digested by the body. This makes the one tired, dizzy and dehydrated within a short period.
- Tooth Cavities: Bacteria in the mouth feeds on sugars (glucose, sucrose) as a source of energy. The presence of a source of energy aids their multiplication in the mouth and they get to form a thin layer of plaque on the teeth. These plaques, in the process of their metabolism, release certain enzymes, acids, and other metabolic waste on the teeth. The metabolic activities of these microorganisms in the mouth lead to the formation of tooth cavities and tooth decay over time.
- Diabetes: Sugars are known to be high in calories, as they contain only calories. A diet high in sugar will also be high in calories which increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, especially for old age people, as they tend to stop responding to insulin causing the insulin levels in the blood to be high.
- Sexual Health: The circulatory system is responsible for carrying oxygen, blood nutrients as well as glucose into cells in the body. If the blood sugar level is high it interferes with the normal circulatory system and a healthy circulatory system is needed for blood flow throughout the body, including to maintain an erection. This is why sugar or a diet high in sugar should be avoided by men in other to be able to maintain an erection.