In my previous article on Premature Ageing 1, I talked about what premature ageing is, and the major causes of premature ageing. Ageing can be very devastating for someone who is young and suddenly begins to experience signs of ageing. If not handled properly, premature ageing has the ability to disrupt one’s mental state and plunge a person into a state of depression, lack of self-esteem, lack of self-motivation and a poor attitude towards life in general. Have you noticed wrinkles, greying hair, skin sagging, and dark spots on your skin, or perhaps your body is ageing faster than you are, how do you handle it? Do you withdraw to yourself and get suicidal? or do you try to reduce the rate at which your body ages? from the article, you will get to know how to reduce the rate at which your body ages, and how to prevent premature ageing.
Ageing is a natural process that occurs as a result of cells deteriorating over time.
5 Ways to Prevent Premature Ageing
- Exercise: The importance of simple exercise to your body and health cannot be overemphasized. Exercises reduce the effect of ageing on the body and help you to feel younger.
- Protect your skin from direct sunlight: Wearing a hat, using a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects from UV rays, using glasses that blocks the penetration of UV light and ensuring your body is properly covered. Also, make sure to moisturize the skin to prevent it from being dry. Avoid staying under direct sunlight for a long period of time.
- Eat a healthy diet: Start eating a healthy diet. Improve your diet by eating foods rich in antioxidants such as spinach, broccoli, nuts, and papaya. Antioxidants are good for reducing the effect of free radicals in the body. Free radicals are by-products of a cell function and accumulation of it in the body, impairs the normal functioning of proteins. Get enough of foods and fruits rich in vitamin C, as ascorbic acid helps in collagen synthesis. Eating foods low in cholesterol such as avocado, whole grains, are also vital. a lot of greens in your diet will also help to rejuvenate your skin. Omega 3 fats should not be left out of your diet as they assist in collagen production.
- Stop drug abuse: Drug abuse including alcohol consumption stresses out the kidney, causes dehydration and strips the body of essential nutrients needed to stay healthy. Nicotine present in cigarettes, strips the body of vitamin C needed for collagen production.
5. Sleep: Take lots of rest always, avoid stressful situations and get more sleep. Sleep allows the body to regenerate. It is also generally advisable to sleep on your back to avoid wrinkles, sagging beast, neck and joint pain.